Monday, January 13, 2014

Homemade Christmas Part IV: Wood-mounted Photos

Continuing my quest to make my Christmas presents for my family this year, I decided to do a similar project for both my dad and Sam's dad and stepmom. My dad always asks for photos on his Christmas wish list, and Sam's dad and stepmom got married last year on New Year's Day so I thought they would enjoy one of their wedding photos displayed nicely somehow.

Rather than just simply framing some photos, I decided to mount them on wood plaques. First I printed copies of the photos I wanted to use at CVS. Then I used mod podge to glue them to wood plaques that I bought at Michaels, and added some additional topcoats of mod podge over each photo to protect it. To make it look more polished, I used stained glass foiling tape leftover from the photo collage project I did for Sam's stepdad to make a small frame around each of the photos. Here's one up close:

My dad and stepmom on a motorcycle trip this summer -- they ended up being fairly close to Sam's mom's lake house in Upstate New York right when we were visiting, so we went o grab coffee with them one morning and I snapped this great photo.

I also attached picture hanging brackets to each one for easy hanging:




Here are all three completed:


The two on the bottom were for my dad, and the one on the top were for Sam's dad and stepmom. I also made another present for Sam's dad and stepmom that I totally forgot to photograph: right after their wedding, I bought a clear glass Christmas ornament and filled it with items from their wedding ceremony like my corsage and strips of their wedding program. I stashed it away in my craft closet, and fortunately remembered to pull it back out almost a year later to give them as a gift for Christmas/their one-year anniversary. Gotta love when advance planning makes presents even easier!

No comments:

Post a Comment