I wanted to change the lighting situation in the bedroom, since the overhead light is a ceiling fan that we don't use that just looks large and dark in our small bedroom. I didn't want to replace the whole fixture since I know our landlord really likes it (he proudly mentioned having just installed it when we toured the apartment originally). Instead, I thought I'd just unscrew the fan blades and then mount something new around the existing fixture.
So I went from this:
And then this, when I removed the glass cones around each bulb:
I decided I wanted to make a drum shade to hang around the existing fixture, so I found a few tutorials online and concocted a plan that involved an embroidery hoop, poster board, some fabric (already on hand), and a glue gun.
First, I figured out how deep the drum shade should be (I determined 15", in order to fit over the fixture). I needed about 1.5 piece of posterboard glued together to get the right length to wrap the posterboard around the embroidery hoop). I just glued two pieces together with a hot glue gun to get a long strip that's 15" wide at all points, then trimmed off the excess length.
Then I slowly glued one edge of the posterboard strip around one of the rings of the embroidery hoop, like so:
After gluing the other ring along the other edge, I was left with this cylinder:
Then I covered it with some fabric that I had on hand (from the roman shade project for the living room):
Then I had to figure out how to mount it. I ended up screwing a few small hooks into the ceiling, and then attaching some binder rings I had on hand to the shade that would slip over the ceiling hooks.
Here's where the fail part comes in. The project was successful in a technical sense, but I just don't like the result. The proportions don't feel right -- too long, not wide enough:
It feels like a trash can attached to the ceiling or something. Not exactly what I was going for. Another picture, without the light turned on:
So, I will just have to try try again! Mulling over some possibilities, both for the bedroom light and how to reuse the supplies on another project if I don't end up using them in whatever I end up doing in the bedroom. Oh well, but I guess it's all about the trial and error!