Saturday, March 30, 2013

My iphone gets crafty

I decided that my generic black iphone case wasn't cutting it, given how much I've loved experimenting with color in our apartment -- why not find a way for the technology I tote around to bring the same smile to my face as all the projects that I love to gaze at when I'm home? First I did some googling to look for colorful and fun phone cases, but then I had a flash of genius about how I could integrate a few of my passions: 1) making things myself, 2) inexpensive things, 3) painting, and 4) the color turquoise, obviously. What is this genius idea, you might ask? A paint chip case, of course.

This project was fairly straightforward:

Step 1: Order clear iphone case on Amazon. I went with this very basic one.

Step 2: Collect a few paint chips from the hardware store. Fortunately it involved taking way fewer than for the art project I did in 2011, so I was significantly less sketchy about it.

Step 3: Assemble my supplies. In addition to the clear phone case and the paint chip I settled on, I needed scissors, an x-acto knife, and a pencil. Not the most challenging of projects.

Step 4: Trace the iPhone onto the paint chip, cut it out, then cut out a small hole for the camera using the x-acto knife.

Step 5: Assemble and admire.


I'm pleased! A fast and inexpensive project that I will actually enjoy on a daily basis as I wander around school and wish I were at home making pretty things.

3 comments:

  1. Simply brilliant. Also brilliantly simple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love both those descriptions.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete