Thursday, November 22, 2012

So grown up.

In our Central Square apartment, we had a whole room dedicated to our dining table. A "dining room," if you will.


 (Let's ignore the fact that the fridge didn't fit in the kitchen, so it was in the corner of this room.)

We rarely used it, preferring to eat in the living room like the slovenly young adults we were. So when we moved into Beacon Street Manor, we went a different direction with our "extra room" and set up desks and bookshelves in it instead.


But it turns out that while Sam uses his desk all the time, I don't except to sew from time to time. Mostly it's a place to store my office supplies, printer, and lots of paperwork and other stuff.


I've delayed doing away with it because I thought I might start using it when I went back to school. But it turns out I just do my homework on the couch. In a small apartment, every square foot is precious and a corner devoted to piling junk is not an acceptable use of space. So for awhile now, I've been thinking about what else we might do with that corner.

At the same time, I've been mulling the idea of how to create a space for dining when we have company. Maybe being engaged and being in business school is making me feel like an adult all of a sudden, but I feel like it's nice to have a table to eat at when we have people over for dinner. It's not worth dedicating a whole room to it like in our old place, but a corner with a table could also double as a space for me to sew, do paperwork, etc the rest of the time. Kind of like a desk, but more multi-purpose and hopefully less cluttered. So, I decided to make us a dining nook!

I found a round pedestal table from Target that I thought would look good and fit well in the space. I disassembled  my desk, found places to relocate all the books and office supplies, and set up the table in the corner. Tada, piece of cake!


Never content to keep things easy, I decided that some new curtains on a long rod across both windows would tie things together more, and found a set of sheets on Etsy to turn into curtain panels. Here it is finished!


(Note the flowers that my thoughtful fiance brought home for me yesterday. My list of things I'm thankful for this Thanksgiving just keeps getting longer.)

No we can dine in style. And while hemming the curtains, I determined that the new setup works very well for my occasional sewing needs. Victory!

1 comment:

  1. This looks great, it's amazing what a good window treatment can do in a room. Just a note, the word you want is disassemble. Dissemble means to disguise or conceal your feelings/thoughts.

    ReplyDelete